Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pavement 1, Lily 0


The girls patiently wait while Mommy shops a garage sale and Daddy shoots photos for Poho365.

The Moore family came by tonight for pizza and beer and brownies. The brownies were unexpected but wholly welcome; Chris can bake up some decent chocolatey squares. The night passed quite pleasantly, and they shipped out around 11:15 or so. That would have been the time for me to do the blog. As it turns out, we were having a fire out in the yard, and darn it all if I didn't want to continue enjoying that after they'd gone. So, it's now 12:25 and I still need to write this thing and my sweater smells like the boundary waters.

Today I planted my elm tree, finally. The hole was dug with Abby strapped to my back, which she was delighted with. It didnt' take long, but as soon as I was done I stepped back to survey my work and was suddenly quite sure that I'd planted it dangerously close to the house. Oh well. We'll be long gone and it will be someone else's problem someday.

We all went a few blocks over to a garage sale this afternoon, partly to shop for random items, but mostly to take a few photos. Christi, one of my fellow photographers, was instrumental in making it happen as she provided a subject, suggested a setup, then watched my kids and dog while I snapped some shots. She is a stellar person.

At some point while we were there, Lily was walking around (under my care, so I'm the guy who dropped the ball) and she took a bad step and did a face plant right into some blacktop. It was terrible to watch, which I did from a few feet away, unable to step to her aid in time. Face met pavement, and I could only watch it happen, and that is a terrible feeling. She started crying instantly, and I picked her up to find her upper lip quite bloody. Well, it wasn't a blood bath, but it looked like it hurt like hell. It is her first injury sort of event, other than the run-of-the-mill head bumps that she gets every 19 seconds around the house.

So we cried a good portion of the way back home. Well, she cried. I fretted, Jen worried, Olly smelled, and Abby laughed most of the trip back.

Now she's got some ouchie looking road rash. Poor monkey.

Abby totally skipped her morning nap - we put her up there, she looked tired, and she told us to forget it - then had an all-too-short afternoon nap. Considering that, she was in a nice mood all day.

This morning, we were shocked and amazed when we opened their door to find Abby standing inside her crib. It was like we'd walked into the wrong bedroom by accident and surprised a totally different blonde haired monkey girl. It wasn't possible, yet there she was. So, that's a cool thing, except that her mattress is way, way too high, so I need to lower that pretty much tomorrow so that she doesn't repeat and decide to take a tumble over the bar.

That's the news from the Gels front. Off the beddie...

Day ninety.


Us.


A good shot of Lily's injury. Her little raspberry nose looked a bit worse as the day went on.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I know what that's like! One time Susan was looking especially cute, running down the street with her jacket sliding down her arms...you know what's coming, so did my friend who said, "What if she..." That's all she got out before Susan took a header, unable to stop herself because of the binding jacket holding her arms. Smack. So, you weren't quite as irresponsible as me. Oh, well, she has no recollection of it. As my dad used to say (and believe me, there are alot more where this comes from) "They grow up in spite of their parents." Isn't that the truth?

    ReplyDelete