Tuesday, May 19, 2009

AC units, come to me.

Lily Gels, kleenex inspector. Mommy Gels, Lily inspector.

I'm listening to Musicheads on the Current right now and wishing it could be anywhere near as good as Sound Opinions, but it just manages to fall way, way short. Maybe I'm still bitter since they ripped the new Decemberists' album; damn them and their hatred of hyper-literate concept rock.

Today is the day that my resolve to install our air conditioners for the year is steely-fied. Crazy, this heat.

This bi-yearly moving of bulky, weighty - and deadly sharp - units is one of my more unhappy tasks (although it is slightly better than cardboard recycling). Not because of the brute force required, the cut fingers, or the sweaty grunting. It's because I have 6 months of accumulation of "things" I have to wade through just to get the air conditioners. It's just a big fat reminder of how disorganized our lives are.

Katie and Mike, those folks who hail from Duluth/Michigan/soon to be Charleston came to visit again tonight. Lily decided to serve up one of her most tantrumy and miserable nights for their enjoyment, and Abby was quite lethargic thanks to some lingering sickness. It's exceedingly trite and cliche - and rather douchebaggy, to quote us from earlier in the night - to have to say that our kids are underperforming for guests. It's like apologizing for the house, "being such a mess," even when it's not, because I'm not a huge fan of apologizing for things like that. But really...seriously...it was one of their worst nights in quite some time.

It was all redeemed, though, when Mike managed to crack into Lily's armory facade. I'm not sure what charms he worked on her, but she suddenly could not get enough of him. Shortly afterward, she warmed up to Katie as well, sharing her toys and smiling beamingly behind the pacimafier.

Abby was a sweatheart, but the very picture of shyness and not feeling up to par. Oh well. Otherwise, we had a nice night with a light dinner out on the deck and Jen made cookies, which tends to melt away any negativity of the night. Lovely night. I remarked on the fact that the bats weren't out tonight, and I started to worry that I haven't seen them in a while, that they may have been a fluke. Then, shortly before we went in, I saw one flit quickly over the yard and disappear over the house. They're still around, and it's amazingly stupid but that just might make me sleep better tonight.

Day ninety two.

Katie and Abby make nice.

Mike and Lily, just after she realized that she was a big fan of his.

Abbinagator

No comments:

Post a Comment