Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hello, we're the Wiggles, we'd like to say hello to you...

Greetings from Duluth. All Dave wanted for Christmas was some free time--as I think any parent at one time or another can relate to. Fortunately, Grandma and Grandpa were more than willing to take in their grandchildren (and me) for a few days, so I packed up the car and here we are.

The drive was uneventful and much easier than the last few drives have been--even though the last few have been tag-teamed between Dave and I. What made the difference? I caved in and bought a portable DVD player for car trips. I should be note that this was something Dave had every intention of avoiding forever. It was one thing to borrow one for the road trip to Cincinnati this past summer, as well as for our recent plane trip, but to actually own one and admit that this is a tactic that will be used again in the future was something that I think pained him a little. But out of love for me and the realization that stopping me from making this purchase could result in unpleasantness for him or perhaps the forfeit of his free time, Dave gave me his blessing to cave and get our own player. And let me tell you, it was worth it. WORTH IT!

I appreciate Dave's argument against the car DVD player. He has fond memories of car trips as a kid--reading, playing games, singing and whatnot. I have those memories too. One of my favorite car trips had my sister and I in the way back of the station wagon and my little brother in a sleeping bag lying across the back seat. If we were behaved for a certain length of time, we'd get a present or special treat. It was great fun. But there are three important things to note about that scenario which explain why I am so willing to throw away those potential child memories: 1) I was old enough to remember that trip. I have no recollection of any trips when I was only 23 months old, 2) where were the car seats and seat belts in my car trip memories? I'll tell you where--nonexistent. It was a different world and I wasn't forced to sit in one position for three hours straight, 3) the technology for a portable DVD player didn't exist then (even VHS was only just blossoming and I don't think it had made its way to cars yet) but I can guarantee that if it did exist and if it was affordable, my parents would have had one. Who wants to ride in a car for three days with three kids and sing the whole time? Ugh.

Some of you are thinking, 'yeah, but there's a big difference between a three-day car trip and a three-hour one'. You're right. But I don't care. Still worth it. They were quiet and smiling for two of the three hours. And there was still singing--I just wasn't the one leading it (gotta love the Wiggles, they love to sing!) And even though the magic only lasted two hours, the last hour was tolerable, even with Lily testing her pipes to see whether or not she could break the window with her voice alone, because I still had my patience left. And I had crackers. Always have crackers is something I learned with Abby along time ago. It never ceases to amaze me how much such a little person can eat.

Sorry about the lack of pictures. I forgot to pull out the camera today. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Day three hundred and thirty two.

4 comments:

  1. Before I had kids I swore I would never be one of those moms who drove a minivan with DVD players in it. I'm still holding out on the minivan, although I totally get now why people drive them. But as to the DVD player? Yeah, everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to concede that it's harder due to the fact that kids must be buckled in these-a-days. My adolescent road trip memories are very much akin to Jen's: lazing around the car in various positions of repose, listening to mix tapes, rewinding them with a bic pen to save walkman batteries.

    The cat and I missed you guys last night. You left the monitor on, and when I went to turn it off, I first briefly held it to my ear and pretended I was listening to them breathing through the static and the miles. Poignant and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I think the real lesson you need to learn from this is that Dave is often wrong and you should not always listen to him. Go with your instinct it is much better than Dave's!
    (Sorry Dave, just being honest.)

    ReplyDelete