Sunday, June 14, 2009

Put away your books...time for a quiz.

Typical Sunday. Got a visit from Admiral Ackbar.

(public service announcement)...Every day, hundreds of much-needed pop culture references are wasted in the Gels household. Movie quotes go unused. Music references are turned aside. They are squandered as they fall on the ears of two youngsters who have A) not seen the movies being referenced, and B) not the capacity for verbal speech.

Of the 10,000-some-odd words that escape my lips every day, I'd say 12% of those represent clear, concise, lucid thoughts that are completely original in source. 86% is pure recycled (I am environmentally friendly, after all) movie quotes. The last 2% is total jibberish.

There's something oddly amusing, I find, when I slip a movie line into conversation with the girls and I think it's so funny I start laughing, then they start laughing, and it's all a riot because they have no idea. It makes me wonder: did my parents do this? Was I subjected to lines like Casablanca's, "Here's looking at you, kid," when they peeled back my diaper? Maybe. I haven't asked, to be honest. But I know my parents...they have excellent original material, so I think they would have stuck with that.

Here are some of my favorite lines that I've spoken recently. I'll leave the movie names out...see if you can figure out what they are! (I tend to skew into the 80's, fyi)

-Lily always likes to do the, "Who!" sound. When she does it two in a row - "Who, who!" - I invariably respond, "Helen, I think we have an owl in here!" She never gets it.

- If I have to fetch a kid from a far-flung part of the room, it sometimes comes with, "Nobody puts baby in the corner" (which is from a movie I haven't seen 1 minute of, yet I still know the damn line)

- When I'm changing diapers: "Shhh! Do you smell something?"

- If Jen is trying to coax a kid to come to her for a changing: "It's a trap!" (see above. Geek alert!....hint: it's not "Terms of Endearment".)

- When I'm stepping out on Sunday morning to get the newspaper, and I don't want them to get upset with me: "I'm going to go get the papers, get the papers..." (that's a tough one...maybe..)

- During feeding time when I'm trying to cram some food in their mouths: "Care for some gopher, Everett?"

- Anytime a kid attacks me while I'm holding a hot cup of coffee: "Careful, man! There's a beverage here!"

- (This one is ridiculously lame) When I put hats on the kids in the wintertime: "Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias."

- And finally: when the diaper pail goes outside::: "Garbage day!" (Click here for a clip of this classic scene of classic cinema)

Acht, I forgot to talk about the kids.

They're fine.

Day one hundred and eighteen.

She kinda poses like the Pope sometimes.

I hate that I didn't get a good shot of this moment - it's blurry - but oh well.

Monkeys.

2 comments:

  1. Love the post, David! (and your blog, in general). I was waiting for your description of one of the girls perhaps having an accident on the rug and you telling them: "It really tied the room together, you know?"

    ReplyDelete