Monday, June 15, 2009

The girls abide...

Good job Ruben for getting the Big Lebowski quote! You win the prize which I have yet to think of but which may in fact be an ice cream sandwich. And to further the theme, I will be accusing my kids of being Nihilists since they obviously believe in nothing.

Here are the movies I quoted from yesterday, in case anyone is searching desperately for closure:

- Sixteen Candles
- Dirty Dancing
- Ghostbusters
- Return of the Jedi
- Goodfellas (again, that's a tough one)
- O Brother Where Art Thou? (one of my favorite movies ever)
- Big Lebowski (two Coen films in a row!)
- Major League
- And Garbage Day is from "Silent Night, Deadly Night"

Good job everyone. I did get some angry emails and calls, so that was fun. For me.

A few weeks ago, I and a few others made quite the ballyhoo about my being alone with the girls for a couple weeks while Jen drank her way across Europe (I'm joking, of course. It was only Scandanavia). I want to break those two weeks down:

- 3 days in Duluth, constant help from family
- Left girls in Duluth 5 more days, total vacation for me
- Stalkers here for a couple days
- After that, girls were at day care all day, I just had mornings and nights
- Dad came over two nights
- Tobler and Klocker one night.
- Etc....

When you break it down, I had, in total, about 4 hours of child rearing that I had to do by my self. And yet I whined about it interminably, people sympathized, Jen mourned my toil.

By comparison, today was the first day of Jen's Summer of Kids! (Copyright) No more daycare for the tykes; today we all woke up and got dressed, and I just left. It felt bizarre, not having the two babbling offspring in the back. So she gets them, all day/every day, from now until August. See the comparison between her and what I had to do? See my weaknesses?

Day one for her went as smoothly as expected...she had to take them to the doctor, mostly for Abby and the ridiculously prolific bumpy rash that is spreading outward from her crotch, that crazy place where rashes spring forth with alarming speed and ouchiness. So, yeah, fun times for Jen. And Abby.

Luckily, she's a chipper little devil, so it's not really getting her down too much. Her crabwalking is improving, and she loves to walk around (assisted quite solidly), and she's actually doing lots of great movements with her legs. Promising things that lead us to think that she might walk just in time for her high school graduation.

Lily's had a spurt of firsty events.

- First log roll around a room. She was lying on the floor, and I gave her a nudge with my head, and off she went.
- Dancing. She's starting to get her many, many grooves on. She even danced today while I played guitar, but since I only know mopey alt-rock songs, she kind of moshed instead.
- And she made up her first word for an object. She's started calling her pacimafier "baba" or "baby" or sometimes it actually sounds like "Abby", which is frightening in that she might want to start sucking on Abby's head. But this was cool; she's known words for a bit, but this is something she totally made up - we've never used anything close to that word for it. So the fun part now is having that realization, when she's whispering 'ba ba, baba...baaa baaaa", that we actually know what she wants. Exciting! And then we, jerk parents that we are, don't give it to her.

That's the news.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: Jen has a good grasp on how the season is going to play out - she is no dope, of course - but if anyone has some spectacular activity ideas for 16 month olds that they'd like to share, have at it; we'd love some ideas. Thanks!

Day one hundred and twenty.

ps. I'm slacking with the camera lately. These are from way back on memorial day...


Crouching tiger, hidden moron.




Another one of Abby's lip. The sheer power of that lip....staggering.



She lives her life in this shadow.



Food time.


No comments:

Post a Comment