Sunday, May 31, 2009

Single parenting...day one.


Too tired to think of a caption. They're my kids...what else can I say?

I have no idea what just happened the last 12 hours. I must have blacked out.

I can't complain, it was a pretty easy day. Lazy morning, hung out a bit, they went down for a nap. Afterwards we got dressed, did lunch, took the dog for a walk, then went to Papa's for the rest of the night. No biggie.

It's the logistics that kill me, the unrelenting business that needs constant attention. I guarantee that is what will have me begging for the end of the week by Tuesday; not the actual moment to moment interaction with the kids. I love that junk. But what it takes to get them both dressed, fed, and out for a walk is not insignificant. (I should mention that I did the unusual configuration of Lily in the backpack and Abby in the stroller for the walk. Olly was on the leash, but that's normal. It worked fairly well, I thought)

I am finding that the naps are the real gut-check times. There's a tantalizing temptation to put them to sleep and evaporate on the couch with a book, but it's just not in the cards, not as a single parent. I was kinda tired for their first nap, but there was an enormous amount of general clean up and "stuff" to attend to. This essentially eradicates any relaxation that might take place during the nap. Tonight after we got home and I put them to bed, I was out and out exhausted, but the house was destroyed (again). The need to clean up after the past couple hours...the need to prep for the next few...these things rip my will to shreds. Arg. Not to mention the need to do the blog.

The morning should be exciting. I'm going to be getting up at 6, which damn well better be at least a half hour before they do, so I can get ready and prep for the day before they're rousted.

One point of strategizing: I'm starting to think that we should keep their clothes somewhere other than their room. Picking outfits for the day is a bit of a task sometimes, but it's impossible to find time to do it, because their room is occupied during nap time. I might just empty their dressers into the hallway for a few days, saving myself the headache. That's a guy solution.

Right. Off to bed...


Day one hundred and five.


She's smiling here. I am too.


Love those eyes, hope they stay blue like Daddy's.


Abbygator being thoroughly entertained by Grace.
Ahh yes, I forgot, big thanks to Grace (and Mark and Tracey) for helping with the girls. Grace played the part of the awesome cousin, and did a good job of entertaining the monkeys. Tip o' the hat to ya, niece Grace.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment