Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jen came back! She really, really likes us!

Lilster loves to bury her head in my legs, which is about the coolest thing I think I've ever experienced as a father. That and the snuggling which is becoming more frequent.

Jen is upstairs sleeping right now, tuckered from her trans-atlantic passengery. She got back late, and had to settle for a clandestine peek at the wee idiots. My hope is that it only whets her appetite for a big long day of kids tomorrow; that would equate to a big long day of me not watching the kids.

However tempted I may be to try and pass the baton of parenting definitely and completely, I need to respect that she is also going to be pretty exhausted tomorrow.

We never left the house today, not once. The weather was a delightfully unrepentant gray and rainy blanket of moistness, all day and without cessation, although for one stretch just after midday it did slack off to just "heavy drizzle". So the bike ride I was considering: nixed. The walk with Amers: 86'ed The photo for Poho365: neh. Amy W. stepped in like a champ and took my photo for the day. I was quite eager to go out with the girls and get a shot today, but I looked outside at the rain, looked at the stroller, back at the rain, over to the dog, then to the camera, back to the rain, and it slowly dawned on me that there was just no way I could handle it.

Lily's been taking potshots at my jade plant as of late; I haven't seen it directly, but I have found the juicy leaves of said plant on the floor in a semi-masticated state. Ew. They must not be too untasty, as this is becoming a regular event...a big wet jade leaf with big Lily-shaped mandible marks. In case you're wondering, I've already checked, and jade plants are not poisonous. And they're delicious with cheerios and teddy grahams.

This morning I was sitting about 3 feet from the plant when she walked over and steered toward its tempting greenery. "Lily, please don't touch my jade plant," I said, half jokingly, but she looked at me and I swear she got the gist. So she turns and starts to creep slowly towards the plant, and I yell out, "Lily!" She jumped to a stop, her whole body leapt for a second; absolutely hilarious. Then she give me this half look out of the corner of her eye, a very stern gaze, just to make sure I was serious.

She's a sneaky one. I feel like I'm already being tested.

Day one hundred and eleven.

Abby with the kung fu grip on the lego container.

Self portrait with L.E.G.

A.E.G. doing what she does naturally with literature: destroying it utterly.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Jen! I'm sure you're all happy to have he family together. Good call on the bike ride yesterday, Dave. It was cold!

    ReplyDelete