Sunday, October 11, 2009

Before reading this, I should tell you now that the prune is a metaphor.

Doe eyed monster.

Did you know that the Alphabet Song, Two Little Black Birds, Bah Bah Black Sheep, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star are all sung to the same tune? I feel kinda ripped off, as a parent.

This morning Jen gave Lily a prune in a misguided attempt at quelling a nasty snit that was in the making. Lily's response to this was to chuck the wrinkled little guy under the table. We all stared at each other for a moment, waiting for each other to make a move, until Jen did something neither one of has done yet.

"Lily, pick up that prune."
"No."
"Lily, pick up the prune right now or you don't get a snack."
"No!"

Lily walked over to the front door and sulked. Abby shot me a look that unmistakably said that we were thinking the same thing: there was no way Lily would pick up that prune, no way no how. I loved that Jen was doing it, though, because Lily is definitely starting to push some boundaries, and this reaction is about due. This will undoubtedly be the first in many such scenes to come in our lives.

Jen didn't give up.

"Lily, come pick up the prune."
[silence and shoe stomping]
"Lily, pick up this prune and give it to me."
"No!"

After a few more exchanges, Abby lost interest and went back to the piece of lint she was likely toying with. I kept watching, bemused and detached. I thought about getting involved, but really, what else could I add?

"Lily, come pick this up."

Lily pushed away from the door and started walking back into the dining room. 'You are f$*%%ing kidding me,' I thought to myself. Slowly she walked to the table. Slowly still, she bent down and went under the table, grabbed the prune, and handed it back to Jen.

"Thank you, Lily, that was a very good girl."

She laughed, and all was right with the world once more.

Parents 1. Kids 0.

Day two hundred and forty seven.

Prune-getter.

Aunt Joy showing Lily how to draw some pictures.

Abby and me.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I realized that they are all the same tune when Andy and I were listening to Susan sing through the baby moniter. I never realized until then, so thank you for not knowing! Why do you think that is? Is this where Barney got the idea of stealing everyone's tunes? Does this mean that Barney is smarter than I am? Huh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And get this, the tune that all of those songs are written to was composed by Mozart! Gotta' love copyright free music! And it makes our babies seem smarter when you think that they are singing Mozart music, right?

    ReplyDelete