Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sisters.

Look at this...not one picture tonight! It's 3 parts lazy, 5 parts being that it gets so dark so early now, it makes good photos hard to come by.

The following story is courtesy of Jen, who was home alone with the kids for a while today due to Abby's Wednesday at home teacher session:

Jen was sitting with the girls having a snack when she noticed a significant piece of ear wax in Abby's ear. Gross. She is obviously my kid. Jen went in after it, since it was just begging for it, but Abby wasn't thrilled with the prospect. She started whining a bit and trying to get away from Jen's prying fingers.

Lily, sitting just a few feet away, apparently gave Jen a very stern gaze for a few seconds, then said, "No no no no no!" and tried to pull Jen's hand away from Abby.

After 20 months, I think that's about the cutest thing I think I've ever heard. What makes this story absurdly adorable is the fact that, on a minute-by-minute basis, they can barely stand each other. I'd say 83% of their interactions deal with the taking of an object from one by the other. There is pushing. There is biting. There is a thin amount of patience that they have for each other.

To hear about something like this, something that involves empathy and protection...it makes me a little melty.

This isn't the only bit of mutual respect that they've been displaying lately. Lily has been, unasked for by us, sharing things randomly with Abby. On the other hand, Abby has an ability to make Lily laugh in the car; I don't really know how, I can't catch her in the act, but Lily will laugh like a hyena and I turn to find her looking over at Abby.

I like the interaction. They're finally starting to figure each other out after all.

Day two hundred and fifty.

1 comment: