Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Night Night. Night Night. Night Night.


Dave's dad, or Papa as he is known to the grand kids, recently showed the girls how to use his legs as a slide. Abby thought it was okay, but Lily thinks it is the most fun ever. At her current rate of sliding, Papa's legs will be bald before October.

Dave isn't here, he's busy having doctors watch him sleep tonight. So it's another night of the mom's perspective on what was a pretty ordinary day.

I brought the girls to the little courtyard at the church across the street this morning. Abby practiced walking (still clutching to my hands, but moving much faster). Lily practiced not listening (she's a pro). Realizing that there will come a time when I will need her to pay attention to what I'm saying, I attempted to play a game of "Go" and "Stop". Lily got the "Go" and ran around and around chanting it. "Stop" was another thing altogether. This girl is going to be a challenge.

Papa came to babysit when I went to school for a couple hours today. Dave's brother Steve and his kids came over too (plus one extra that he was watching). Steve must be an amazing storyteller because he had five children captivated while he was reading to them when I got home. I've never seen my kids both sit still for the same story at the same time before--it's nice to know it's possible.

The beautiful part of everyone being here while I was gone was that the kids didn't nap until I got back. I hate being gone during their nap. Nap time is when I clean up, eat something, make necessary calls, and sometimes even relax. For me, missing out on nap time is the equivalent of working on the weekend. If you're a parent, you know what I'm talking about.

Lily read "Goodnight Gorilla" to us before bed tonight. It went like this, "Nigh Nigh. Nigh Nigh. aargusha ya frapicha Nigh Nigh. Nigh Nigh. Nigh Nigh." Abby joined in too. A chorus of night nights. And on that note...night night.

Day one hundred and ninety eight.

Three yahoos. Meow.

Oh that face. I can't say no to that face.

Art by daughters (mommy might have helped)

No comments:

Post a Comment