Sunday, August 30, 2009

We are parents once more

Unfortunately, I spent tonight's prime blogging time trying to wrest my internet connection back from whatever computery hobgoblin stole it. I think - and to admit this is to admit a staggering level of stupidity on my part - it might have just been a loose connection on the ethernet cable going into the computer. I feel like one of those people that IT departments joke about between ComiCon conventions.

So, I'll recap the day in brief. I slept away most of the morning, which turned out to be very necessary. As for my slight drunkeness on Saturday, I lay almost all the heavy blame on Klocker and Phil, two flask-bearing coworkers who are far too young to understand what tequila and vodka do to a 33 year old.

After breakfast, we headed up north to Hinckley in order to wrest control of the girls from Jen's parents. This drive was notable for a few really, really dull reasons that I'll mention anyway:

- We took Hwy 61 almost the whole way up, which is amazingly the first time I've driven that way. Some of those tiny towns I perpetually whiz through on 35 are actually somewhat interesting. Somewhat. By Minnesota standards.

- I got pulled over on that very Hwy 61 for passing in a turning lane, which I really shouldn't have done since I saw the cop passing us, but I thought it was one of those passing lanes that you use to get around people turning left. It should have been, because who needs a right turn lane on a 55 mph highway? Anyway, she let us off, possibly because of my rather clean record, good breath, and super attitude about never using turn lanes for passing again. In the most utterly shameful part of my soul, before she'd let us off, I was desperately trying to formulate a way to work the miscarriage into conversation in a really, really (really) unforgivable ploy at getting some sympathy.

- We pulled off in Hinckley and called Neil at the top of the offramp. As it turned out, he was passing right in front of us after exiting, meaning we'd managed to get there within about 8 seconds of each other.

Dull, huh?

It's great to be basking once more in the lovely glow of our moron kids. They are so much bigger! Lily looks ready for college. Abby seems so much smarter. I feel like we missed out.

I have to say thank you, once more, to Jen's parents for taking the girls during this entire week. That was a monumental show of generosity and kindness, and I just can't say thanks enough. You guys are awesome.

Day one hundred and ninety six.

Here are some photos from the wedding on Saturday.

The Gels Boys Travelling Troubadors and Pool Cleaning



I'm a big fan of imperfect photography, especially when it involves interesting lighting. When it comes to the craptacular camera we got as a bonus at Sun Country (which was used for this shot), it is always imperfect photography.
I kind of think it's a sweet shot, since Jen's laughing and we're way high up in downtown, but then I almost look like I'm gnawing on her face, so minus 32 points for me.


More imperfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment