Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I like that national night out entails pretty much just walking across the street.

My wife is a big, cute, lovable nerd. She called me to tell me that she was going to go see the Harry Potter movie tonight, and could I please do the blog?

Geek! Ah, how I love her, my wee dweeby wife.

Life without the Gels Girls is a pale imitation of my former days. It's a lonely slog. However, I have this 2.5 hours of free time after work that is really just astounding. Well, I had it today; yesterday I stayed late at work until 7, so that doesn't really count.

Tonight was national night out. I hope you all ventured into the inky darkness and conspired with your neighbors in some sort of capacity that was fitting. Our neighbors across the street whipped out a grill, some tables and chairs, and a good portion of the block came by. This doesn't amount to much, as about 40% of our block is made up of a church, so we kinda miss out on the full level of participation. Still, it was nice; I am amazed that there are people on my block that I have not yet met (until now) after 5 years here.

I'd always spent the previous years' national nights out wandering the neighborhood, feeling glum and lonely passing by all the various block parties and events, enviously wondering why ours never partook in the festivities. It's a happy thing that somebody took some initiative and got us together (because I suck at initiative).

My favorite moment of conversation came when our neighbor Carrie, who heads the bar at the Varsity Theater, kept us rapt with her tales of Chan Marshall, aka Cat Power, coming apart at a post-rehab double set. Fun drama! It was fantastic gossipy goodness! I can imagine working at a quality venue can invariably lead to some equally quality anecdotes.

Day one hundred and seventy.

Some random repeat pictures...

Little peanut can barely see over the swing.



Crackers while swinging? Lunacy.


The twins have taken a shine to peeping out the porch window, taking in the sights and sounds of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment