Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I need a casting agent! Or Spielberg's number.

Lately, I've begun to notice some similarities between Las Ninas and certain fictional hollywood creatures.

There has been a sharp increase in the past few weeks of interaction between the two of them. While in the high chairs destroying whatever item we made for dinner, this back-and-forth is even more pronounced. Each yahoo is checking what the other yahoo is doing, and vice versa. There is babbling. At times this babbling has flirted dangerously with becoming something resembling a conversation of jibberish.

There was something eerily familiar about this, something I couldn't quite place, until one day. "Mogwai! Of course!" My kids have now achieved a mogwai state of consciousness.

The similarity is astounding, is it not?

Their sounds are evolving, as well, sometimes so rapidly I can't keep track of it all. Sadly, Abby does not laugh much like a cricket anymore (although I still call her Cricket from time to time. Lately it's been Blondie or The Blonde One or Tiny).

Abby has adopted a new sound that, from what I can surmise, she likes to make when she is hungry-tired-excited-funny-squirmy-exasperated. I knew the sound instantly, but couldn't place it for quite some time. It bothered me. It bored into my brain...where have I heard that sound before? Until finally the answer came upon me like a dream:

Yes, Abby makes sounds that are a spot-on match for a tauntaun from Empire Strikes Back.

Not to be outdone, Lily has crafted her own surrealistic impression of a pop-culture science fiction icon. She performs this little show every time she decides that she needs to crawl across the house as quickly as possible.

I hear her drop to the floor with a thud. I look at my water glass as she unleashes the full brunt of her crawling speed, and clearly see concentric ripples echoing across the surface. Boom. Boom....bom bom bom obm bboooomm..."scrreeeeeeeaaachhh!" (that's her when she sees me). The resemblance is obvious.

I wanted so badly to photoshop a pacimafier in that mouth, but I just got lazy. Imagine it...laugh a bit...there you go.

Day seventy three.

1 comment: