Sunday, April 26, 2009

I have no time to title this because the kids are now up from their nap...

My patient vegetables peer into the rainy day, wondering when I'll let them outside for good.

Midday blog post! Unheard of. I'm feeling proactivey. Anti-procrastinatory. Dis-ennui-ed. The Morons are down for an as-of-lately-much-less-frequent afternoon nap, so I decided to take the blog by the horns, as the saying goes.

I'm quite taken with rainy days, and today definitely qualifies. Drizzle...pour..slight thundering..repeat. During one of the more torrential moments of the day I took Lily out the back door under the eaves to witness the proverbial cats and dogs. This is the kind of thing I get excited about sharing with the girls, the simple enjoyment to be had in common weather phenomena. She was interested and unafraid of the thunder, which was a fine response. Then she tried desperately to squirm her way out of my grasp and, from what I could ascertain from her body language, get out into the rain. Hmm.. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. She is the adventurous one.

On the whole, the weekend was pleasant. Jen was busy with school yesterday, so Lily and Abby and I were off to the park for a Powderhorn Park parents group play date. I had a good time and met some lovely fellow P'hornian parent types, while Abs and Lils sat and gawked at the other kids' supreme playground skills, which were indeed something to behold. That Lily managed to sit in the sand and not eat any of it is a big accomplishment, but I strongly suspect that Abby may have ingested a couple very small gravelly pebbles. I'm sure there's iron to be had in gravelly pebbles. Thanks to Charmaine for setting up the whole gig, and props to Sara for starting the group in the first place.

Today's activity included a trip to Sovereign Grounds, the coffee shop Jen elucidated on a few days ago. I'm definitely a fan. The coffee and pastries, while maybe not top notch, are a solid 4 out of 5. The woman that runs the place is charming. And this time around there were a few kids and parents in the play area, making the best of the wet day. So the girls got to mix it up, and we made nice with local peeps, two of whom are friends of the very same Sara that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Small universe.

I can't help but point out that both these social events would have been next-to-unthinkable without kids. They make fantastic ice breakers. It'd be hard to imagine a group of people meeting at the rec center to sit around and talk without children in tow. Or a small gathering of strangers who randomly converse at a coffee shop. Kids are so convenient!

Day seventy.

Olly on the receiving end of some love.

Welcome to my reality.

Naked time.

No comments:

Post a Comment