Sunday, February 22, 2009

Don't read this, Kate Winslet, I implore you.

Some would say - and I would be inclined to agree - that it can be tricky at times to recognize that you've arrived at a favorable situation in life. So I've heard it is with children, having had other parents speak at great lengths on their eagerness for the next developmental stage. There is usually a fair amount of sighing that then takes place, and an awkward silence lowers as I try and settle on a pithy response that doesn't come across as smarmy. (I love the word smarmy, by the way, and it never fails to make me hungry for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; I imagine smarm can be spread with a knife, if need be.)

As for us: I like now. I know I like now. We've found a familial rhythm that suits mostly everyone's needs (cat included), kids are happy, we're busy but happy. Our approval rating is quite high. So of course I can't help but have that positivity usurped by the tingly feeling that it is not going to last. I recognize this halcyon mindset as the same I would get while in the doctor's waiting room as a child, where there were Highlights magazines, a killer fish tank, a toy chest, coloring books, comfy chairs, and the stench of unavoidable catastrophe around the corner.

The now is so fleeting.

We celebrated their cousin Andrew Lukasewycz's third birthday today. I noticed that the two best shots of the girls both featured a background object coming from their head. Super.

ps. Kate Winslet's hair was so terrible I almost woke the girls up to tell them about it.

Freshly caked.

Abby and Grandpa; I rather like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment