Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Take that, recession

Along with Jen's looming graduation comes the double whammy of student loans coming due and the very real prospect of her not being able to find a job. Although we're hopeful, it's getting to the point where saving is important. $18 is the going rate for a haircut at GreatClips. $18!! A set of clippers and scissors at Target cost $15. It's worth a shot.
See below for the final result.

This morning at about 4am, Lily woke up screaming. We both knew why without even trying - she had lost her pacifier. She loses it all the time overnight, but ocassionally she will lose it and actually wake up to miss the thing.

I got up before Jen, so I went to save the day. This situation faces me with an option: do I go in the room and assume I can find and give her the pacifier, or do I walk all the way downstairs to get a spare one so I KNOW I'll have one to give her? Because if I go in there and can't find the one she lost (not uncommon, if it falls out and bounces under the crib and off into the ether where only lost socks and ballpoint pens exist), then it would get pretty ugly pretty fast.

This is the odd thing about parenting: we are under a constant barrage of having to make really stupid, inconsequential decisions that we consider nearly life or death choices.

I got a spare pacifier from downstairs and made my way up.

Lily had cried so long and so loud (so amazingly loud) that she woke up Abby. When I cracked the door and took a timid step into the room, Lily continued to wail but I heard Abby, clear as day, laugh a couple times and say, "Kish?" (this is her word for 'kiss') I couldn't help but laugh out loud, and she laughed again, and I wondered how I was going to deal with both kids now that they were both up.

I picked up Lily and she latched to me like a sad monkey. I never heard from Abby again. So funny, she just woke up long enough to ask me for a kiss and laugh.

Unrelated story....fast forward 15 hours, just prior to bedtime. Abby came across Lily's pacifier while transiting the family room. She picked it up, beelined for the couch, and handed it promptly to Lily. Lily took it and screamed, "TANK YOU!"

Day two hundred and forty three.

I'm going to stay clear of any armed forces recruiting stations for a while.

L-dog.

A-ster.

2 comments:

  1. Does Lily use a pacifier but Abby does not? Isn't that funny? That would be a good thing, because then you wouldn't have to decide if it's alright for them to share them.

    Like the hair cut!

    ReplyDelete