Sunday, December 27, 2009

Our girls have met the ocean.


Today, we tackled the ocean, quite literally. After dipping Abby in the breaking waves, she started running towards the water and quite literally tried to throw herself into the surf. She seemed very taken with the sea, despite the cold and despite the fact that a loud sneeze will startle her to tears. This largest and most impressive of Earth's wonders somehow made her want to run into it with open arms. Good monkey. Maybe we have a surfer girl on our hands. Jen and I both had that thought as we looked at her, all blonde hair and salty face.

I honestly had a hard time keeping her safe in the water, because I would put her down standing in the shallow surf, and she would sprint out into the breaking waves, and her tiny little chicken legs are just not strong enough to resist the push and pull of the sea. She lost her balance more than a few times, but I managed to catch her at every chance.

Lily did okay in the water, but was a little more recalcitrant to the Atlantic's briny call. On the whole, the trip went smoothly with no major meltdowns or too much sand in the crotch areas (although there was some chaffing. I'm talking about the girls here).

Day three hundred and fourteen.

Lily finding something of vast importance.


Jen and Lily.


There she goes! Notice I've positioned myself strategically between her and 41 million square miles of saltwater.



2 comments:

  1. i think that those are my favorite pictures to date this year!!!!! marj

    ReplyDelete