Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Will photo hard-to-reach parts of your aircraft for food.

This self portrait does not do justice to the utter crampedness of the Boeing 767 electronics bay. My eagerness to go trampsing around the country on photoshoots for Aerosim is going to eventually land me face-down in the chiropractor's chair.

After I dropped the girls off at day care today, I kinda blacked out for a bit and found myself in Louisville, KY.

'Huh,' I thought. 'That's curious.'

Determined to make the most of a very strange situation, I decided to make a few calls and see if I could maybe take some pictures of UPS's newest B767. I'm not sure what normal people do in Louisville, but this course of action struck me as the most natural.

After settling the deal, I was picked up by Scott, an affable sim engineer who sprung for lunch before I had the chance to impress upon him how unimportant I am at my company.

While I've found myself wandering the UPS Philadelphia facility at some odd hours of the night, I'd never been to their main Louisville hub. It's pretty staggering. Not quite as large as I think I thought it might be, but grand nonetheless.

The rest of the photoshoot went well. There is a great deal of added stress involved when shooting the delicate areas of a brand new aircraft worth roughly $150 clams. I was acutely aware that, during my fidgeting to get into a tight spot for the HF radios, I definitely probably kicked something with my foot. It was probably nothing. Just a spacer or baffle or vent line. Still, I'll be glad when the newspaper comes tomorrow and there's no story of a 767 crash enroute to Stuttgart.

My flight back was supposed to be at 7:30, connecting through Detroit. I got done early, and made it to the airport in time for the 4:50 direct to MSP. I went to the ticket counter and told the nice lady of my wishes to go home early and not languish in the SDF airport. She walked me to a kiosk and told me to use that for changes to my itinerary. That was a red flag. When the 4:50 flight didn't come up, she said, "Oh. Yeah. Well, it must be sold out. You'll have to stay on your original flight." Uh................huh. Much as I respected her decision, I went through security and off to the gate, where I was promptly given a seat assignment for the half-full (!) flight at 4:50. Love them or hate them, you have to love the airlines.

I made it home in time to see the girls. They had absolutely zero reaction when I walked in the door. I might as well have been a walking wet blanket. Still, they're cute, so they get a pass.

Day two hundred and seventy seven.

Plopped into the middle of UPS's sprawling, immense sea of concrete and sorting facilities lies this little one acre plot of overgrown grass.
"Native American burial ground. By law, we're not allowed to build anything on it," said my guide.
Interesting stuff.
It's hard to tell by the photo, but there were indeed some barrowy-like earthen mounds.
So what's more interesting: the scope of the sorting facility, which moves boxes from plane to plane with almost no human intervention, or the tiny parcel of land sacred to Native Americans where nobody is allowed to go?

Of the many panels snuggled together in the belly o' the beast, I liked the yaw damper module the most. It had bangley bling type things hanging off it - a major plus.
I love when people call this a 'yaw dampener'. You should never, ever dampen yaw; it could shrink.

No comments:

Post a Comment