Sunday, July 12, 2009

Our kids as tourists.

Blondie.

I took 244 pictures today, and I have to be honest, I spent most of my energy just going through all those. Let's hit the highlights and all turn in for the night, m'kay?

- Found ourselves at the sculpture garden today. There's an element of lame out-of-towner-ness to going to the sculpture garden because it's such a touristy place, but I'll use the girls as an excuse. Are they not from out-of-town? (deep question) Thanks to the guise of showing the girls the town, we can go ogle all the Minneapolis sights we're normally too embarrassed to go see: the grain belt sign, the Foshay tower, the stone arch bridge, the hollidazzle parade, the megamall. Okay, maybe not the megamall...I like that place on its own.

- Yesterday we implemented a "no more bottle" policy. We've banished all nipples from the house, less the normal 4 of ours. I don't count the girls since they so tiny! Little tiny nipples! So, yeah, the bottle-less life has been smooth sailing (jinx, I just screwed ourselves), probably because we did it gradually until the nighttime bottle was the sole fix. That got the heave last night, and we've had nary a complaint. This is further proof: we rule at parenting.

- A random observation: turmeric is the most staining material in the world. Our friend Emily tipped us to its benefits as a spice - they are many - but we quickly found out that any food containing it would wreck whatever outfits the girls had donned at the time. It's ruthlessly effecient at marring textiles; I implore you, wear a lab coat or rain jacket or biohazard suit. Turmeric, when dropped haphazardly into your lap, will immediately stain your shorts and the shorts of your 19 closest friends and relatives. I only mention it because a piece of chicken glanced off my shorts during lunch. I sprinted into the kitchen without pause, scrubbed 2 tons of cold water through them, and there's still a neon-yellow spot on them. Damn you, turmeric!

- Girls were in a good mood today. Though I should mention that Lily was dead-set on sprinting into the pond under the spoon-cherry bridge this afternoon. She seriously just ran straight at the water, and there's no transition, it's just grass-grass-putrid water. She would have gone right in, and I would have had to take the plunge to drag her to safety. I carried her away from the pond...she shrieked, as expected. Put her down - sprinted towards the water again. You get the idea. So we repeated that a few more times, until I carried her away for good and she had a nice little fit until she found a pine cone and was instantly (and I mean instantly) distracted and perfectly happy. Sigh.

- Had a really nice dinner at Papa's (aka, my Dad's) house. We were lucky enough to have my Aunt Betty and Uncle Jerry in town, so we got to spend some Q.T. with them again just a week after we visited them in Cincinnati.

- Lily had her first corn on the cob. I say "had" and not "ate", because the thrill here was for her to just hold the thing and laugh like a mad scientist. Oh, and she kinda sucked the butter off too, which was lovely.

That's about the best of it.

Day one hundred and forty seven.

If only this was as easy as it looks. Lily is a shoddy stroller pusher.

"Uhh....where'd that red sculpture go???"

She's got style. She looks a little like she's a gesturing Italian: "That's a what I told tha guy; no pancetta!"
ps. I forgot to mention yesterday, but check out that shot of the girls on the couch together and note the difference in feet size. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment