Monday, July 13, 2009

Jenny files.

When Daddies and Lilies collide...blood is spilt.

I was goofing around with Lilypad, and accidentally kinda smacked her awkwardly in the face. I say this just as an interesting fact and not by way of trying to excuse myself, but I baaaarely hit her; Jen can attest to this. She cried a bit, so I picked her up, and it was only by a fluke that Jen walked behind me and saw that she was pouring blood onto my shoulder. She's had a few nosebleeds during the night lately, so I'm starting to wonder if that little nose is home to some thin and surrender-prone capillaries.

Imagine my fatherly pride later in the evening when, in a moment of back-turned-distraction, Lily managed to fall off the couch. Thud. Wail. I didn't exactly do a great job of protecting the kids from harm today.

At the very least, I can honestly claim that there were no scorpion stings. 100% success on the scorpion sting front! And nobody was carried off by an eagle or lost in a nuclear power plant meltdown. I'm trying to be positive.

Jennifer stepped up to the proverbial plate and made a log of the day to put up here. A blog log, if you will. Peer now into the murky depths of the daily comings and goings of our resident stay at home mommy of twins:

6:20 - Abby up
7:15 - 1st breakfast
7:25 - Wake Lily for purposes of keeping her schedule tenuously similar to Abby's
8:30 - At this point, 4 diapers have already been changed. 2 were poopy. The other two were filled with licorice and butterflies. Hoo-ray!
8:45 - Lily's 1st breakfast, Abby's 2nd (important, since Abby apparently burns 12,000 calories a day)
10:15 - snack and 15 minutes of Sesame Street ("Aaahh ah ah ah!" says The Count)
10:30 - nap / Mommy tears headfirst into a paper for school
1:10 - Lunch
1:30 - Outside to play
2:00 - Walk the dog
2:45 - Head off to Target, a local general store and apothecary
At some point in target - Snack
3:30 - Back to the Gelsenhaus (I must interject here to explain that Jen and I always joke about giving our house a name like pretentious people do (Let me interject again and apologize if you're one of those people). If you have any cool house names you'd like to lend us, please share.)
3:45 - Snack (how are these kids not any bigger?)
4:30 - Kids fell asleep while playing..off to a nap.

Any time not accounted for (maybe 12 minutes in the morning) was spent playing on the porch or living room and generally acting like monkeys.

Jen's favorite moment of the day came at the close of their first nap, when they woke and begain conversing with each other. Jen opened the door undetected (being undetected is a vastly underrated skill as a parent), and bore witness to a good 3 minutes of talking and giggling that passed between them. When Abby eventually caught sight of her Mom, she burst out laughing. Lily, still looking at Abby and having not seen Jen yet, also exploded into fits of laughter - just because Abby was doing it.

Jen's second favorite moment: Abby was trying to crawl through the front door while Lily happened to be right in the threshold, and Lily stooped down and gave her sister a few gentle pats on the back to try and get her over the door sill.

Day one hundred and forty eight.


After the nosebleed, I found out something I guess I should have known already: kids are idiots for ice cubes. Making the best of a bloody situation, I one-upped the single cube I'd given Lily and dumped a whole tray in a bowl for them to play with. It's like Christmas in July at Chateau Gelsenkirchen.


Self portait from the sculpture garden. Notice Jen looking at me with exasperation: that's what makes this one my favorite.


Kid #2 from the sculpture garden.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how bodily fluids get a whole new meaning when you have kids! There is no fluid that has not been shared at this point. By the way, Alex has spent the last couple of years with a slightly bloody nose. I keep hoping it will go away. Very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister calls her house "the shack."

    ReplyDelete