Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Damn you, thunderstorms.

There are few things I take more delight in than sitting through a really awesome thunderstorm. Every spring, I get a little giddy with the thought of all the boomers just waiting to lumber over my house during the summer. I've been blanked this entire season so far...not a single one.

I was thrilled to see skies as black as night over Rainbow when I stopped for a few groceries after work. Eagerly did I run through the aisles, hurriedly trying to get home in time to watch the deluge. To come back out of the store 15 minutes later to clearing skies was the cruellest of teases. It's trivial, in the great big grand picture of life, but I'm starting to almost physically ache for the need of a thunderstorm. Where are they? Why are we constantly being passed over for being passed over? Bah. It's ridiculous that the news is now reporting all the storms in the metro that took place. Ppttthht.

Okay, now I feel rather bad because they just said a girl died from a lightning strike. I'll just be quiet now.

Girls are great. More words are starting to come out of Lily. Abby is, as always, on her normal glacial pace, but she is getting pretty good at getting around, and we're hopeful some walking might be around the corner. It's funny, we've been trying to do sign language with the girls for a long time, with a rather low level of success, likely because we're not consistent enough (two signs a day...how can they not pick this stuff up?). Abby's gotten a couple signs, but Lily has never shown much inclination. I sign and sign and sign, and it's never more interesting than a grey dust bunny under the chair. Today I said "ball" and showed her the sign for it, and Lily stared at me with this strange, burning intensity. She already knows "ball" and uses it correctly, so maybe that made it relevant for her. But she just watched me like a predator for a bit, then promptly did the sign. I have no idea what was different about this word. I've shown her "more" until I'm blue in the hands, and she couldn't care less. Huh. Kids are weird.

From today's "Jenner Files: why twins are hard and stuff"

During a trip to the dermatologist today (feel free to add that to your running list of doctors that Abby sees, because I assume everyone is keeping track, right?? Right.), Jen had to park the stroller outside the exam room. This is because it's illegal in Minnesota to manufacture doors that allow easy passage of a double stroller. Look it up, it's in there. To get them in the room, it was manual time.

She pulled out Abby (the slower one. Jen's no dummy) and put her in the exam room. She ran back out to get Lily, and turned around just in time to see Abby crawling down the hall. "Drat!" she cursed, lugging Lily into the room now. Down went Lily, out went Jen, up went Abby. Jen turned back to see Lily sprinting away from the room with glee. "Curses!" she dratted. (Fun fact! Jen actually does use the exclamation "Curses!" Now you know!) This might have gone on indefinitely - with the aides and nurses laughing merrily to see such fun and not help at all - had Jen not finally managed to snatch them both up at the same time and drag them in once and for all.

These little battles happen so many times when alone with the girls.

Day one hundred and fifty six I think. I'm starting to lose track since I've missed a couple days. We'll go with 156 for now.

I'm clearing out some strange photos. Enjoy.

Jen had bought a can of chicken from Trader Joe's a while back. It sat on the shelf, taunting me, beckoning me to open it and gaze upon the mysteries within. It's canned chicken...how can you not marvel at it?

We finally got to open it recently. I'm not sure I've ever seen something quite so unappetizing as a can of Trader Joe's chicken. It was like a hockey puck had fallen into a vat of boiling lard. It tasted pretty much okay, although I couldn't stop tasting tuna because it looked like tuna.



Stoic little girl.


Little pouter.


This is one of my favorite signs in Minneapolis. It stands tall over a chicken place called "El Pollo Loco", a name that was hilarious the first 15,034 times I heard it.
It depicts a bodybuilding rooster of Herculean strength, holding over the flames of Hades a crispy and delicious whole chicken, skewered on his godly trident.
That is one amazingly loco pollo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I did sign language with the kids too! Well, I bought a book, does that count?

    ReplyDelete