Thursday, June 11, 2009

The sham of milkery

In an honest and misguided attempt at justifying my Vitamin D milk habit (which has spiraled out of control...I spent Tuesday busking with my guitar outside the Richfield Rainbow, trying to scrounge up the $1.80 I sorely needed for my next gallon (Rainbow has killer sales on Roundy's milk, fyi). At the end of the day I'd only netted $.92; apparently "Vitamin D Blues" is not as popular a song as you'd think), I'd been telling myself and random people on the street that vitamin D is an important vitamin and that is why I drink its eponymous milk. Surely something named "Vitamin D" is fit to burst with the very nutrient it is named after. I imagined myself revitalised with every creamy delicious slurp.

Thanks to a random moment of passing ennui, I know this is a horrific lie. Our elected officials fell asleep at the switch with this extreme crime against humanity. Recently I found myself with a spare moment in front of the fridge, so I decided to compare the skim and vitamin D milks' dietary/nutritional/label-of-lies information, to see just how much extra vitamin D I was getting on a "per-slurp" basis. Surely you've been able to guess by now what I'm about to tell you: vitamin D milk has the same exact vitamin D content as the non-vitamin D-named skim milk. The very same amount.

The same! I mean, seriously...how can they possibly call it vitamin D milk? Why not Ginkgo milk, it's got the same amount of that, too.

Distraught over this news, I poured myself a swimming pool of my favorite elixir and drank myself into oblivion, getting no extra vitamins for the effort. Still...totally worth it.

Day one hundred and sixteen.

No new photos, so here's a Then-Now introspective. Photos from the Big Day next to some recent ones...

Lily then.



Lily now (thank goodness Jen did not have to give birth to an aerobie as well)


Abby then (still kills me to see shots of her in the incubator)


Abby now.

1 comment:

  1. Susan was also in an incubator when she was born because she decided to give breathing a miss. However at 8 pounds she looked like Monster Baby among all those little early arrivers. Then she spent a year as Michelin Baby, and now she's just Susan, my beautiful girl, graduating from 5th grade. This freaks me out, thought I'd share...(breathe)

    ReplyDelete