Friday, February 20, 2009

Cakes are terrible places to store explosives

From their birthday party. We don't eat like this every night.

At some point today the movie "Back to School" popped into my head, for no reason really. I was performing a particularly idle and numbing task at work, and - as I've just found out - my brain, when presented with a void, apparently fills it with works from the Rodney Dangerfield canon. Maybe it is just me, but I can't believe the physical laws of our universe allowed to exist a movie that features Robert Downey Jr., Danny Elfman, M. Emmett Walsh, Sam Kinnison, Ned Beatty, William "Johnny Sweeptheleg" Zabka, Paulie from Rocky, Sally Kellerman, and Kurt Vonnegut. Kurt Vonnegut?!? Did this movie truly get made? Can you imagine the pitch?!?

If this blog were really something to behold, I would somehow tie this in to the rearing of twin-yet-completely-opposite girls. It's not going to happen, so don't even wait for it. Life is messy and random.

I would like to take a moment of hubris and mention that I did that cast list from memory and without any aid.

Jen missed a first tonight, and I feel bad about that. She was stuck in class while Lily, for the first time that I've seen, deliberately pushed off of me in an attempt to stand on her own. She'll "walk" while holding hands for just short of eternity and never get tired of it, so that's not new; but this was a very deliberate act and somehow was very different. Maybe six times or so she pulled herself up on me while I was on the floor, and would push away and stand on her own for a few seconds before crashing onto her butt. It pleased her to no end.

That pleasure turned inevitably to rage for her when she realized I couldn't let her do it anymore while I was changing Abby. Now this is the glimpse that you, the reader, might enjoy into the world of twins. There are indeed two of these yahoos. So while changing Abby, Lily was crawling all over me trying to get to my chest. I put her down a few times, told her no, and she bawled; no surprises there. Fortunately the sight of Abby's belly button (aka the Bee Bo, nods to Sandra Boynton) gave her reprieve. So she played with it, which was cute beyond words. Then she tried to grab it with such force that I thought she would in fact tear her in half, and then I would have three kids which just would not do. I pulled her off. Then again. And again and again and again. Then bawling. It all worked out when I finally -fiiinally - got Abby's jam-jams on and, with the bee bo out of sight, restored order.

It's non-stop action when doing the single parent role with them.

Off to watch Conan's last show...

Day five.


My sly cake destroyer.

Delicious.

I cursed that helmet so many times, and now I miss it in a way. She did look rather cute in it I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment