Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bye bye, blog.

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all around the sun
What a beautiful dream
That could flash on the screen
In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
Soft and sweet
Let me hold it close and keep it here with me

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly
From the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me

What a curious life
We have found here tonight
There is music that sounds from the street
There are lights in the clouds
Anna's ghost all around
Hear her voice as it's rolling and ringing through me
Soft and sweet
How the notes all bend and reach above the trees

Now, how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through your mouth
To make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet
And now we keep where we don't know
All secrets sleep in winter clothes
With one you loved so long ago
Now he don't even know his name

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all around the sun
And when we meet on a cloud
I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see
Can't believe
How strange it is to be anything at all

-"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea", Neutral Milk hotel

Click here for the Matt Pond version, which I'm a fan of.



(apologies for the rather crummy video quality)


I need at least a month off. It's a lot to ask, but if you'd like to, please check back here on March 15th, and by then I'll have decided what continued form the Gels News and Herald will take.

A zillion thanks to all of you that read this, twice as many thanks to those that comment and give feedback, and infinite more to Jen, without whom none of this would be either possible or enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    I will really miss this blog. It is the first thing I do when I wake up, or often, before I go to sleep. Not only do I love to see what my beautiful nieces are up to, but it makes me feel closer to you and Jen too. I can always count on you to make me laugh, and as it turns out, sometimes you make me cry too. But I have loved being on this journey with you. And even if you don't continue with the blog, you should write. That is your gift-words that touch people and make them want to keep on reading. Thank you for letting us peek into your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Christy. You are a gifted writer that should continue to do so. Thanks for sharing! I will check back in a month, with bells on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dave:
    I hope you keep developing your talent for writing. It's your gift, and it winds up being a gift to others as well.
    Every person alive would want an intimate and detailed glimpse into their early lives. The ultimate gift you gave is to your girls to be able to do that. I'm positive you will never regret the pressure and the mental/physical pain you endured in the past 366 days. Thanks from all of us who couldn't wait to read your insights every day.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete