Tuesday, July 28, 2009

There is such a thing as a sugar high. Take that, conventional science.

I was quick and lucky, catching our nephew Oliver in the act of taking a leap.

Our computer is having issues. It graciously let me upload some photos before deciding that it'd be best if I weren't able to access the interweb. This turned out to be a happy accident, because I trotted out Jen's laptop to the porch to do the post, and I'm quite taken with being here. I should be out here every night. It's cool. The sound of the radio wafting from the living room is somehow more pleasant than if I were in there next to it, as if a degree of separation from it is amplifying its enjoyment quotient. The lighting is whimsically supplied by old-school, bulbous christmas lights (Jen exasperatingly acquiesced to my desire for this a long time ago). And the cat is here.

The cat being here is a mixed blessing. His need for lap time is equalled only by his irreverence for the laptop that is already lying in said lap. So he headbutts the screen once every 4 seconds to show me that, yes, he is scorned. Thanks Guinness. I get it.

Here's the day's news, broken down bullet-style, because who doesn't like their news in tasty little bites? Snack away on our daily hap'nings:

- Abby stood today for about 10 seconds unaided. Plus she can walk with only holding one hand. Any day now, I swear...
- I lost about 2 hours worth of work today because Flash took a dive on me and I'd forgotten to hit the save button.
- Lily washed her hands in my brother's sink, and instinctively grabbed for the towel to dry her hands off.
- Our shower is again showing signs of needing attention. I'm considering giving up bathing altogether
- Abby is totally Jen's kid right now. I can pick her up out of the crib and all is well for a minute or two; then she loses it and needs to go to Mommy.
- Lily could care less who's holding her.
- Our garden now has weeds twice as tall as me. I haven't done yardwork in weeks. I can't foresee how I am going to get better at this or have more time. Maybe a condo is worth investigating.
- Lily says "shoe" exactly like how Mr. Miyagi says "Show!" in "The Karate Kid".
- Abby wigged out tonight after getting ice cream. This is at least the third time that ice cream consumption has led to a kid that is super-hyper. I love that I read stuff online about sugar highs being total fiction, a complete myth of overactive parent imaginations. I think not. This kid gets ice cream, and it's hammer time.

My brother kindly let us descend upon his house tonight, where he stir fried a tasty meal (he said it wasn't good...he's wrong) for us.

Day one hundred and sixty three.

Maya snaps a shot of Abby while Jen watches warily.

Maya

Lily and JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment