Monday, March 2, 2009

Damn you, Matt Groening.





With the obvious prisoner clothing reference, I couldn't resist. Mommy was just over the fence, so to speak, making dinner.

It's hard to miss when your kid has a major milestone while you're looking towards her; yet miss it we did when Abby sat up last night for the first time unaided. It wasn't our fault, honestly.

Every so often we find ourselves in the vicinity of bedtime and Abby has no interest in slumber. It's this punch-drunk kind of mood she gets in, and it would be a nuisance if she wasn't a total sweetheart when it happens. A real joy. So if we find ourselves up with her at 8 o' clock, long after her sister's given up the good fight, we will play with her a bit then deposit her amongst some toys, where she babbles at them happily. This was the scene last night, she on her tummy playing with a moose puppet (Jacques, the French Canadian moose, who sounds suspiciously like Triumph the insult comic dog) and us eating dinner and watching the Simpsons.

To make sure this is clear, she is essentially right between us and the television (which I feel compelled to mention is rarely ever on with the kids, but we let it go when Abby stays up late with us). She is clearly in our peripheral vision. Imagine my surprise when I shift my gaze during a commercial to find her in a perfectly seated position.

I realize this may not be newsworthy for most 12 month old kids, but for Abby it's the Nobel prize in toddling. Sure her sister can run laps around her; this was a cool moment for her, and for us. That stuff makes your night.

Day fifteen.

On the move.


Like most shots, I don't realize what I got until I take a look at them later. This one made me laugh. A lot. I want to believe that it isn't a fluke and she really is staring at me with dubious contempt. I feel like I'm being interviewed by that "To Catch a Predator" news guy. But there's just the tiniest hint of a smile in there too, like she's just about to crack up.

This is one of those photos that makes a good case for marching upstairs right now to wake her up give her a big hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment