Friday, February 5, 2010

ouchie

Thanks to some head-scratching strangeness on the part of our computer, this post will be photo free, and you have my apologies for being stranded alone with my sub-par prose. At least my sub-par prose and sub-par photography made a smashing marriage of mediocrity.

Tonight something awesome happened that hasn't ever happened before. We were all playing in the girls room post-bath-time - Abby bouncing around Lily's crib, Lily running around like a lunatic. I'd actually been annoying Lily, because I kept crawling in her direction to tickle her, and she kept telling me, "Nooo..ooooo!" Fair enough.

While rolling away from her, I rolled over one of their toys, which dug into my back and smarted a lot. "Oww!" I said. Lily ran over and said, "Ouchie? Ouchie??" She leaned in, face painted in utter concern, and laid her head on me, totally snuggled, gave me a few kisses. It was really interesting and very protractive; it lasted a long time, she just kept laying on me and trying to drive her head into my chest.

It's fascinating that we've known these kids for a couple years, and we are only now starting to see displays of emotion, where they show that they seem to actually care about us. Tonight's episode was a really sudden and touching show of something, I can't say what. It was a singularly defining moment for me, really one of those things that make me astoundingly happy to be a dad.

I must make an effort to hurt myself again.

Day three hundred and fifty four. (11 days left. 11! 11 is a palindrome. Crazy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment